Thoughts of Brianna

Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Spanish Steps

There are several things I could have written about in today's Rome post. I might have described what it's like to ride Rome's buses and subways.

You learn to be pushy.


I could have given another take on what to do when the metro breaks down.

However, I've decided to recount the day I went to the Spanish Steps. I mainly remember how sunny it was, how bright the sunset was on the church facades, and how the domes of the city were in shadow.



Like most places in Rome, the Steps juxtapose old and new. The Steps are not nearly as ancient as most of Rome's landmarks; they date from the 1700s. Yet they are surrounded by the very definition of now and new--designer shops like Versace and Dior line the streets leading away from the Piazza di Spagna and its glowing fountain.

Trinità dei Monti

Standing and staring up at the steps leading to that small oasis in the busy city, everyone else flowed around us. When I look at pictures now, I see that there were tons of people there that day, clearly a mix of tourists resting from a day's visits and Romans meeting up after work

 As a special treat for you, I have a video that my camera accidentally took as we walked up the steps. Pretty fortuitous in the long run! Aren't the stones beautiful?

 
The feet at the end belong to Deborah. We had the same shoes!

 
Thinking with some effort I can remember the buzz of noise in the streets, but until watching this video again, I had no idea there was music playing. I can remember the quiet responses of those at Mass in the church at the summit of the Steps.


 See what I mean about sun and shadow that day? Everything was golden, there wasn't a spot that looked dull.

Rooftop terraces? Yes, please.
The yellow house on the left is where the poet John Keats lived before he died. You should definitely read some of his works. Some of my favorites are "Bright Star" and "On First Looking into Chapman's Homer."

What memories do you have of the Spanish Steps?

2 comments:

  1. Brianna! I love this post. I constantly find myself trying to explain the golden light in Rome, and you did it so beautifully that I now find myself more Rome sick than I have been in a long while.

    Thank You!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm simultaneously apologetic for exacerbating your Romesickness and honored that you enjoyed the post! Thanks Rachel!

    ReplyDelete