Thoughts of Brianna

Monday, September 23, 2013

It's Banned Book Week!

I look forward to this week every year as a time to celebrate reading in general. It's lots of fun to look at the lists of banned books and see which ones you've read. Everything from Captain Underpants to Fifty Shades of Grey has been "banned." Check it out!

Also, found this on Pinterest:

Join me; it should be fun!




Here are my first two:

One of my favorite banned books: Madame Bovary

Where I like to read: this is the state of my nightstand.
This week, won't you join me in blogging about books? They don't have to be banned; but it is fun to describe why you think a particular book should/shouldn't be banned.

Do you believe in banning books? I think that religiously affiliated schools have a right to ban certain books if they want -- but only things that correspond to an "R" rating in movies. Kids are going to read Harry Potter no matter what you tell them.

Also, I'd say parents have a right to ban certain books. But again, maybe on an age-based rating system. They've got to read those bawdy Shakespeare plays sometime; it's culture!

Heck, the Catholic Church banned books for hundreds of years. It wasn't to keep the faithful ignorant, but to guard against temptation.

What I'm against is Nazi style, Fahrenheit 451 type book burning, in which ideas are suppressed, different ideas are dangerous and anyone who reads subversive material is an enemy. Also, did you know the Bible is banned in dozens of countries?

Have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. Great entry. I'm reading "The Eleventh Commandment" By Jeffrey Archer right now, although I'm having problems finding time to read. But I'll get it done. Matt has me into political thrillers right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds exciting! I haven't ready any political thrillers, but my parents have always loved Tom Clancy

      Delete
  2. What are your opinions on The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn? I'm curious, because I was just having a conversation with my department head today about a similar issue. She decided to not read "Revelation" by Flannery O'Connor with her seniors because of all the "n-word" dropping all over the place.

    Then there's the new "sanitized" version of Huck Finn as well, which many schools in the South require if they allow teaching that text at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first read Huck Finn sophomore year of high school, and my teacher (late 20s-early 30s, very smart) refused to read the "n-word" aloud while we studied it. I can see why the "sanitized" version would make sense to many teachers in the South. Why bring up unnecessary hurts, open up old wounds? Still, I think that one of the virtues of a teacher is courage, and she might want to instill that in children as well. It takes a lot of courage to face fears, face enemies, face the truth. A story in a book is an ideal place for a person to face the demons of reality. When confronting the truth of racism in the book, a student will grapple with an emotion, then a reaction, and just maybe, if a teacher is there to help them, they can file it away in some part of them that can deal with the issue when they face it in real life.
      Too much? I love Huck Finn, I wouldn't want anyone to miss out. Same thing with bowdlerizing Shakespeare. Taking out the nastiness of Iago's speech would obscure just how evil evil is!
      You should write a blog post on this topic!
      Also, you're incredibly brave for teaching Flannery O'Connor; I can't "get" her meanings. Which, as you've probably said before, is the point! I got out my copy of The Complete Stories and remembered I did really like "Revelation."

      Delete